Self-care is something I think we should all make time for on a regular basis. Not only is it a little bit of me time, but it’s also great for mental health and right now I think this is something everyone would benefit from.
When I say ‘self-care’ I don’t mean the overly indulgent ideas you get from influencers and Instagram. I just mean the little things that you can do to make sure you get an little bit of R&R. So, I thought I would put a list together to let you see the kinds of things you can do to look after you. (without breaking the bank!)
- Have a shower ~ I don’t mean a basic shower like you would in a morning, but a truly relaxing affair. Wash your hair twice, use a body scrub or just stand under the hot water.
- Use a face mask ~ This is the women’s universal way of saying I need a break. By doing a faced mask you have to give you5rsledf 100% attention. A couple of my favourites are linked here and here.
- Change the bedding ~ I know this can sometimes seems like more a of chore than self-care. However, I promise that when you climb into clean sheets the world doesn’t seem to bad.
- Paint your nails ~ Toes or fingers, it doesn’t matter. When your painting nails there isn’t a lot else you can do. So you might as well sit back and chill.
- Light a candle ~ Scented candles are an indulgence for me. When I choose them, I make sure the scent is calming for those days when life is just too much.
- Make an indulgent drink ~ Typically for me, this would be a Hot Chocolate. However it could be, tea made in a tea pot or a coffee with some special syrup.
- Scent your pillows ~ I find that when my pillows smell good I get to sleep a lot easier and sleep can be the best thing if you are feeling run down.
- Go for a walk ~ This can obviously be weather dependent but as long as it isn’t raining I will pick myself up and get outside. The fresh air can do wonders for cluttered brain.
- Call a Friend ~ Sometimes you cant cope on your own and that’s okay. Reach out for help and if you haven’t got anyone you think will understand then my DM’s are always open.
- Go Offline ~ This has been something a lot of people needed to do throughout 2020. Sometimes, switching of the devices and shutting down can be biggest gift you can give your mental health. I have a written a blog post here all about the importance of switching off.
These are ideas are not a to do list or a exact science, they are just things that work for me when I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. I hope they can offer some support if you are feeling the same way. Please remember that whatever you are feeling is only temporary and things will get better.
Let me know below if any of these work for you and if you have any you think would help me. I am always looking for ways to relax.